During the presentation, the team demonstrated the possibility of gloves, talking to the audience in sign language that is instantly translated into voice. All those present, including the members of the jury, said that they have not seen anything like this before and were also highly appreciated the ability Ukrainians not only to program, but also to solder chips with their own hands.
Home Ukraine's IT
Students Computer Academy “SHAG” won the Imagine Cup 2012 in Sydney on July 10 held a truly epochal event for the computer industry in Ukraine – the first time in the history of the Ukrainians won one of the most prestigious competitions of IT-technology areas – Microsoft Imagine Cup. Team quadSquad, composed of students of Donetsk Computer Academy “SHAG”, won the most difficult category – software development (Software Design), which has struggled for more than 70 teams.
They presented the world his socially oriented project called Enable Talk.
Enable Talk according to the magazine «TIME» included in the list “Best Inventions of the Year 2012” along with The Curiosity Rover, Google Glass, self-inflating tires and many others.
It aims at improving the communication of people with limited hearing and presents by glove equipped with a large number of sensors, such as sensors bend the fingers, a pair of accelerometers, gyroscope and compass, which allows you to gather information on the situation in the hands of the space in the future to transform a gesture to speech.
The software part of the development (based on Windows Phone 7 / Windows 8) can receive information from sensors gloves and continuous transformation in the audio signal. The information received through Bluetooth is transmitted to the smartphone and after fast processing gestures sounded voice. This invention will help deaf and dumb people to communicate more easily and conveniently. Also glove equipped with solar panels that optimizes its use.
To develop their project folks spent more than six months, it is expected that such a glove would be worth only $ 200.
Materials taken from the site: «EnableTalk»
“Ukraine – one of the most prosperous countries in the world for Internet access,” said Alexander Olshansky in the business breakfast CEO Club Ukraine January 24, 2013 in the President Hotel.
Referring to the statistics, the speaker noted that the 12 million Ukrainian Internet users spread across the territory of Ukraine is fairly evenly: “Today, the normal access to the Internet is in many villages. We have the infrastructure in this area is better than in Germany, and England. “Olshansky suggests that by 2014, 70% of the population will have access to the Internet. A quick burst will be associated with the emergence of all kinds of mobile devices, providing access to the Internet as an alternative to expensive PC.
Last year, an online platform for freelancers earned more than $ 1 billion According to the company Whichlance, the lion’s share of the market controlled by two companies that have learned to benefit from mediation between client and contractor – oDesk.com and Elance. This fall in Ukraine came Vice President Elance Europe Chetil Olsen. He told Forbes.ua how changing global labor market and what the role of Ukrainian in the process.
– What is the history of Elance?
– The company appeared in 1999. Originally Elance specialized in developing software for large corporate customers. The clients were General Electric, FedEx and others. Things were going up, and the company absorbed the British ClickCommerce. It reoriented toward business development online platform that drove to the customers and freelancers via the internet. In 2007, it became a key business ClickCommerce. Now Elance – a platform that integrates 1.8 million freelancers, 153,000 of its customers and 210 tyschya vacancies. Moreover, this market is still in its infancy.
– What is a demand for Ukrainian freelancing labor market?
– Ukraine – one of the stars of this market. Over the past three years only through Elance platform Ukrainian executed orders worth $ 34 million We have 11 000 registered freelancers from Ukraine. In your country are talented developers. They are also actively collaborating with customers and help with the implementation of the product remain in touch and after the project. Ukrainians – reliable partners.
– The position of Ukraine is growing?
– Yes, still its place among the countries that supply us freelancers were lower. I think Ukraine has potential to rise above fourth place. Catch India and the U.S. will not be easy, but bypass Pakistan, coming third – is very likely. But in relative terms Ukraine include industry leader, especially when talking about freelancing in the IT-sector. Still, India is home to around a billion people, and the United States – about 250 million
– The income Ukraine is fourth, but the number of freelancers – only 15th. The reason probably is that most Ukrainian represent highly paid IT-sector?
– This is just one of the reasons why there are two. Ukraine – fast-growing market, and while he rapidly growing number of people do not have time for more money. Gradually, these rates will level off. The second reason – many freelancers from Ukraine individual and group accounts, this entire development team, and paid for their work, respectively.
In the town of Sirmione (Italian Republic) was held The International disciplic Olympiad in Informatics. Of 324 participants from 81 countries have adequately presented Ukraine pupils and students having received prize places and won four medals.
Gold medal won Sergei Nagin, student of the faculty of cybernetics of Kiev National University named after Shevchenko. Silver medal got Vitaly Gerasimov, a student of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science of Lviv National University named after Franco. the bronze medals went to Roman Furko and Roman Rubanenko, pupils in grade 11 of Poltava Regional lyceum at Kremenchug Teachers College named after Makarenko.
In the overall ranking Ukraine won 10th honorable place among the 86 participating countries.
All participants of the International Olympiad in Informatics got vivid impressions of staying in Italy, they are actively communicated with each other, and also visited some interesting excursions.
According to the materials: mon.gov.ua.
Ukraine has introduced tax exemptions for the IT business, which will provide a quick upturn in the industry
Verkhovna Rada (Ukrainian parliament) adopted a law granting significant tax benefits for the IT-sector in Ukraine, the effect of which will provide a breakthrough in the development of high technology.
“Today, Ukraine is ranked 5th in the world of exporting of software. The adopted law will provide an opportunity in the coming years, double the volume of Ukrainian exports of IT-services. The positive impact will feel the entire economy, “- said Vice Prime Minister Sergey Tigipko.
· Corporate income tax will be reduced from 21% to 5% from the beginning of 2013
· Personal income tax – from 15% to 5%
· Value added tax – repealed (but only on the software, which will be developed by Ukrainians)
· The period of exemptions is 10 years, only long term preferences can give the desired effect.
The initiators of the law have estimated that its enactment will increase the number of jobs (a third part of a year) and increase the competitiveness of Ukrainian IT-companies. After all, today in many countries, payroll taxes are much lower than in Ukraine (in India – 6%, in Brazil – 10%, Russia – 14%), which did not allow employers to pay to Ukrainians the same high wages. And this led to an outflow of Ukrainian professionals abroad. Now the situation has changed dramatically, and Ukraine has all chances to strengthen its position in the global IT-industry.
The government is also preparing measures to promote the development of IT-sector in Ukraine. Thus, the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine is ready to increase the government procurement for learning in higher educational establishments.